Nighttime eating, my arch nemesis.
This is something I've struggled with for as long as I can remember, a habit I don't often like to admit. If you want the real scoop, just ask my Husband. He's seen me struggle, but together, we have experimented to try to reduce the temptations, the mishaps. I could be on track all day long and then the sun goes down and the cravings only seem to rise.
Overeating is more of a mental battle than anything. It's the mind fighting for food, when the body doesn't necessarily need the extra calories. The biggest tip is to chug water, it's filling and a lot of the time, our bodies are dehydrated, not hungry. You're probably thinking, well that's a boring tip. Fair enough. In that case, here are five more tips to help you beat those cravings.
1. Dessert in a shake! I will often mix one scoop of my favorite 1st Phorm Level-1 protein powder with some unsweetened almond milk or water to satisfy those dessert cravings. I recommend yummy flavors like Cinnamon cookie batter, ice cream sandwich or chocolate peanut butter! Not only are Level-1 shakes jam packed with protein and low in carbs and fat, the supplement mixes well, keeps you fuller longer and prevents mindless snacking. For free shipping, order here: 1stphorm.com/leggday
2. Chew your dessert! Stock up on a sugar free option to chomp on something with flavor without all of the extra calories. Yes, this kind of gum has artificial flavors, but in my opinion, sugar alcohols are fine in moderation. Target always interesting flavors. Check out these flavors I just picked up, half & half and margarita.
3. Sip on some fun flavors! There are so many delicious flavored teas out there, either caffeinated or decaffeinated. Check out my most recent favorite flavors below. Sour apple-tini satisfies those sweet cravings with a fun summer feel. Plus the sweet dreams herbal tea has a way of relaxing me before bed with with a blend of chamomile and mint, which really is both calming and soothing.
4. Fill up on carbonation! Try La Croix: this is a naturally flavored carbonated beverage to satisfy that soda or pop craving and is really filling! There are so many wonderful flavors!
5. Take a shot! Apple cider vinegar will initially make your stomach turn, but I promise you, the burning sensation in your stomach will prevent you from wanting to eat anything. Plus, studies have found that apple cider vinegar has a lot of health benefits like regulating blood sugar, improves heart health, eases digestive ailments, accelerates weight loss and helps slows aging.
Hope you enjoyed those tricks to stop those late night eating habits. It's all about trial and error and figuring out what works for you. If the craving levels are through the roof, I suggest writing down what you're going through in a journal, that way you can search for patterns of what triggers temptations. Remember, a lot of the time when we think we're hungry, we're not. Drink that water or try one of the five above tips. If you truly feel like you need some substance from food in your system, reach for a lean protein/veggie meal. Thanks for reading and remember you can tackle those mental battles. Don't let them win!