When chasing nutrition/fitness goals, going out to eat can be challenging. First, you're out of your comfort zone second, you're not preparing your own food so don't know exactly what's in it. I'm still guilty of feeling anxious if I know I'm going out to eat often one week or traveling because I don't want to fall off track. It's ok to feel like this, but don't get discouraged. We all deserve to eat out or go on vacation and you should enjoy it! Plus, I'm here to tell you it's possible to stay on track and to make decisions that support your goals.
Here are 5 tips to eating out & staying on track:
1. Have a plan-Choose a restaurant with a menu with a variety of choices so that you have something to work with.
2. Look at the menu ahead of time-Weigh your options and avoid high calorie options. Center your meal around a balanced protein, carb and veggie option. Instead of deep fried foods, go for steamed, broiled, baked, grilled or roasted options. You can also download a food tracking app like MyFitnessPal to look up the nutritional facts of what you order.
3. Don't be afraid to ask for modifications-Servers are used to this. We pay for our meals, don't be afraid to ask them to hold the butter. If for some reason they can't accommodate, ask them for recommendations on alternatives.
4. Drink lots of water to help prevent the body from retaining water from higher sodium foods.
5. Don't feel like you always have to clear your plate-I myself was taught this as a kid, but restaurants tend to consistently increase their portion sizes, overdoing it! Enjoy your food, but stop when you're full!
Check out this YouTube video I made elaborating more on tips to eating out!